Thursday, November 4, 2010

My Return To Ethiopia... Trip Post #3

Well, if you've missed post #1...you can read HERE!!! If you missed #2..you can read HERE!! But, I guess I've left yall hangin for long enough since my last post so here goes:

** Well, I assumed EVERYONE would want to meet their child's birth parent...but I assumed wrong. I've learned in the last month or so that NOT everyone DESIRES that meeting to take place. I had a friend say, "WHY....WHY in the world would you want to find her and meet her? I'm not sure I'd EVER want to do that." I can respect that...but... well...I thought about it..and I DO believe God has placed that desire there. I was VERY comfortable from day 1 in Ethiopia with the idea of KNOWING and MEETING LLM's birth mom. I've always wanted to personally thank her and look into the eyes of the woman that gave my precious daughter LIFE!!! BUT, even more importantly is the fact that GOD may be laying this on my heart for a reason...Maybe lucy lane will be that child that REALLY NEEDS to know her past....maybe she'll have strong desires to know every detail of WHY she was placed for adoption....maybe she'll LONG to have closure some day....AND what if I'm the ONE person that can find those answers for her....

**It suddenly became clear to me that I MUST DO THIS FOR LUCY LANE!! I left Ethiopia the first time WITH VERY LIMITED information. And, at that point, I knew I had VERY little to tell Lucy Lane when she grew up and started asking questions!! So...my strongest hearts desire was/is to learn ALL I can NOW about LucyLane's past and her biological family!! I mean, we're talking about a third world country...What if her birth mom or other important family members pass away as I WAIT for LL to decide to ASK about her Ethiopian family!! And, when she finally DID want answers...what IF I wasn't able to get them any longer!!!??

**So, I knew in my heart and mind that SOME DAY I would attempt to try and find as many pieces to the puzzle as possible....for the MAIN reason to share them with LLM when she's old enough some day!!! I just didn't realize the opportunity would come about so soon!! And, WHEN OUT OF THE BLUE my husband told me he WANTED me to return to Ethiopia...he said, "I want you to go and meet Lucy Lane's mom and any other family she may have!" I couldn't believe what I was hearing....I so wanted to SOAK in LL's culture...see where she was born, hear all about the day she was born...was it an easy or hard delivery? Ask WHERE she gets this FUNNY, OUTGOING personality....I want to know WHERE she gets her tiny little, petite hands and feet....Who gave her those adorable ringlet curls all over her head....Those eyes, those ears, her yummy little lips....Who taught her to belly laugh SO HARD...Had she always been this funny since birth?? So many questions....

** And, as I wrestled with God about this idea...I already knew the answer!! I WAS TO GO!!! I knew I couldn't look lucy Lane in the eye some day and say, " yes, I had the rare chance to go and meet your biological family but I couldnt' go because I was TOO scared to leave you guys!!" I figure she might be kind of mad at me over that!!! :) And, for SO many international adoptions..there is NO information there...the child might have been abandoned OR the parent was deceased..or??? So, I knew it was RARE that i could ACTUALLY find this woman and meet her.. So...I let the idea sink in....but MANY questions kept swirling through my head:

"What if i can't find her?"
" What if she doesn't want to meet me?"
"What if I go all the way to Africa and she ISN'T home the day I arrive at her front door"
"What if it is dangerous getting there?"
"What if I found out she's passed away?"
" What if I cause her MORE pain by showing up there?"

**You see...the last thing I want to do is CAUSE this family ANY MORE pain. I have someone close to me that was placed for adoption domestically at birth...and 35 yrs. later when he FINALLY decided to find his birth mom.....SHE DIDN'T WANT TO BE FOUND!! It caused her a great deal of pain to be found...she had kept his pregnancy a secret for 35 yrs..and wanted it to remain that way!! He could respect that..he loved his family that raised him...he'd had a good life...but kind of a slap in his face too!! It just wasn't what he had dreamed of his entire life.

**So...I knew there was a possibility that LL's birth mom DIDN'T want to be found. Maybe she didn't come to our original birth parent meeting for a reason....AND I couldn't fathom causing them any more pain than the pain someone must go through when deciding that adoption is the best choice for your child. So, I spent time in prayer ASKING God to guide me...Praying HE would some how perform a miracle that I COULD find her FIRST and ask her PERMISSION to come....NOT to ever pity them...but to love, respect and learn everything I could from them.

***And, that's just what I did....ON MY OWN...WITH NO HELP from ANY agency or ANY extra information given than what was in my referral packet....I FOUND HER!!! Yes, across the world as I was going about my daily routines...a contact I had (who wishes to remain anonymous) set out on a LONG, GREAT adventure...to find Lucy lane's birth mom for me!!! With NEW recent pics in hand of Lucy Lane Martha....with very limited information on WHERE to find this remote village...he took off looking....looking for the ONE person that held ALL the answers to Lucy lane's past.....3 days went by....and I waited....waited to hear something, anything....praying that IF THIS WAS GOD'S WILL she would be found!!!

**And, finally the phone call I was waiting for....after 3 days of searching and asking around....HE FOUND HER!! AND, I COULDN'T BELIEVE MY EYES when I went to my computer....there sitting on my screen was HER FACE AGAIN!!! It felt like a miracle!! That beautiful young girl.....standing in the middle of Africa...holding a new picture of Lucy lane Martha I had sent...seeing her daughter's face for the first time in about 18 months....her smile said it all.....
(more to come )

*happy Thursday to you all, kj

27 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I seriously have tears in my eyes and chills!! How beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Ms. Krisit,
    I can't help but think of the hope you could give this woman as you tell her about your Savior and how much He loves her ....talk about life changing. And LL will have that comfort FOREVER! So excited for your mission trip for one specifically!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! Talk about God intervening!!!!! YEAH!!! Can't wait to hear more!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chills! That is so GOD!! I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's amazing Kristi! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So can't wait to hear what comes next.... only God could make this happen. PB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I had chills as I read this post. Almost every day I think of Grace's birthmother. I want to tell her how much I love her daughter and how well she is doing and thank her for this incredibly selfless act oh her part that gave me another daughter. SO many times I have wondered...how could I ever find her?? Your post tonight has encouraged me to press in and pray to believe that the Lord will reunite us. I agree...having more info. on her birth family is a very great gift to give your daughter, and for me to give mine. Blessings to you as you go on this journey. I am praying that my day comes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristi!

    This is SOOOO AMAZING! Praise GOD! I am so happy and excited for you, your family and LL! What a TRUE, TRUE, TRUE BLESSING! I'm excited to hear about your trip! I am going on a missions trip to ET in Feb. 2011 with Visiting Orphans and CANNOT wait! LOVE your blog girl! BLESSINGS!

    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! Just wow!!

    Please don't wait too long to post the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW I can't wait to hear more! My husband was adopted from lebanon as a baby and hasnt been back since but we're going in one week and he knows his birth parents passed away and I know that hurts for him and he wishes he could see/meet them..atleast know more. so I think it's wonderful what your doing for Lucy - she will be so thankful for all this when she's older!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man..... cliffhangers! ;) lol So excited for you and know that God is going to bless your journey beyond your wildest dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love this story! Wish your contact did that for a business because I would so love to find our birthmom before we go back to Ethiopia. If you meet anyone there that is interested in doing that send them my way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are such a touching writer. I feel like I am reading a book and I do not want to put it down. I am praying for you and your family. I am so excited about this awesome Godly adventure!!! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OH!!!! I love it!!!! can't wait to hear more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much for sharing your life and your heart with all of us out here in blog land. Amazing. As an adoptive parent, I can understand why some people would not want to meet their child's birth mom, but I do have the same desire you have and was so blessed by the meeting that I did get to have with one of our adopted children. We have not been able to meet our other child's birth mom and, for me, it feels like a loss. I am so glad you will get to see her and hug her and thank her for the life she brought into this world! God Bless you and LL's birth mom! -- Cara

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my gosh...tears in my eyes as I read that you found her and saw her with the new pic of Lucy and she was just smiling...wow...can you imagine the joy and happiness she must feel to know her daughter is so happy and well taken cared of! i am so excited for you to meet her, i am SOOO glad we met Isaac's birthmom!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! What a story God is writing for you.
    I am so proud of your courage and your willingness to do this for LLM. This is LOVE in ACTION!
    Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  18. This post gave me goosebumps! How wonderful that you will be able to share everything you know with LL someday? Simply amazing! I'm afraid I'm am adoptive mama who will never be able to give my baby those answers. I so admire you for going. I have no doubt it will be so hard to be away from your loves, but the gift you will give LL someday will make this all so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh you just made me cry Krisiti!! I am in awe of our God and how He has done this for you. It encourages me to keep praying for the answers i am longing for!

    In fact, today, I am fasting and praying for the Lord to move a mountain in our lives concerning ET and I will pray for you too for the rest of this day and for your trip back there.

    Wish so much I could I could be a fly on the wall and see your faces when you meet! What a blessed gift! Oh and the fact that your husband told you to return speaks volumes to me!! THAT is definitely God's will!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow this is like a movie!! so excited to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are killing me!! Can't wait for the rest, this is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i remember you mentioning this opportunity when we met. I'm so excited for you, and for Lucy Lane, and little mama! You are such a blessing to that young lady all the way across the world. Thank you for sharing God's love even if it was scary!

    ReplyDelete
  23. AMAZING STORY!!! Just think!.....as you get the gift of gathering more info for your precious (ADORABLE!) daughter, you could also be giving LL's birth momma a precious gift as well! It could very likely BLESS this woman to know and see via pics how well LL is doing!.....and what a RIGHT choice she made in giving her up for adoption! Can't wait for your next post! Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW! So amazing! I am so overwhelmed by this story and post!! INCREDIBLE!!

    I wish SO MUCH I knew about my son's BM. I wish for HIM that I had a photo or a story or some knowledge that I could offer him as He gets older, because I know he will grieve her. It is a big void not knowing anything. :( Our son is extremely musical, and I wonder about that ... he's tall and very athletic ... he is extremely handsome ... he's stubborn and smart ... I know if I wonder about his first mother, surely he will wonder too. It took a lot of courage for her to birth a healthy baby boy--I am so thankful for her.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words!!