Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My Return To Ethiopia...Post #4

If you missed my last post on my return trip to Ethiopia...you can read it by clicking HERE first!!!! If you're caught up and ready to go....then here goes:
***So, where did I leave off?? Ok, so I remember :) Yes, my contact was able to locate Lucy Lane Martha's birth mom. Yes, it felt like a miracle...I got chills all over my body WHEN I SAW HER FACE AGAIN!!! It suddenly felt like the world was a VERY SMALL place after all!!! I sat staring and shocked and WANTING to tell the world, "I found her...I found her!!" But, I knew I couldn't blog about it THEN...I needed some time to soak it all in and MAKE SURE I was doing the right thing (oh, but it was SO hard not to post it to the blog world that instant...I have a big mouth and I so wanted to share the good news :)

**So, before I go any further..I feel I must say that THIS is a very delicate topic and situation!!! Birth parent meetings is a VERY sensitive topic. I sought LOTS of advice from my agency, my many adoption friends, and even friends that were adopted themselves. As I said in my last post: I didn't want to hurt anyone and cause anyone ANY MORE pain, I didn't want to break any international laws, and I wanted to make sure that she WANTED to be found first!! So, my advice to you before seeking out a birth parent is to ask your agency what THEY recommend... The warnings I received that I feel I should share with you are:

1. What if you travel across the world and you show up to find this family has moved.
2. What if the birth parent is deceased
3. What if they are just out for the day that you arrive...you would have traveled across the world and missed them.
4. Communication is nearly impossible...so setting up an accurate time to meet and for ALL to be present would be hard to do on my own.
5. It could be dangerous traveling on your own out of the capitol city: wild animals, dishonest people and disappointment is possible....

***So, those are just some of the warnings I feel I should share...so now that you KNOW them...back to my post:

**Well...there were actually many pictures coming in that day on my computer...I saw pictures of MANY of LL's birth family. They all look so much alike...I just couldn't believe my eyes...but LL's birth mom stands out...I can see where LL got her beauty...she is stunning!! :)

**What I heard next was a breath of fresh air...it was the exact same details of WHY she placed Lucy lane Martha up for adoption that my agency had told me. I had ALWAYS felt my agency was AMAZINGLY HONEST and had GREAT integrity..but hearing those same details for myself just confirmed for me HOW WONDERFUL AGCI is/was and HOW HONEST and caring of an agency I used. My contact would have had NO WAY of knowing those details about Lucy Lane's history...so I KNEW he had found her birth mom...and I knew she was indeed sharing with him HER STORY!!!

**Most importantly...she gave her BLESSING for me to come and meet them. Now imagine having a stranger from the city walk up to you while you are at the market and say, "I'm here because of Martha".... Imagine the shock that was present for her. I just can't imagine HOW SHOCKED and STUNNED she was to learn that I wanted to come and meet her and her family.... and that some stranger traveled 3 days to find out if it was OK that I come....Well....she WAS shocked but also VERY EXCITED. She gave us her blessing and told my contact that she would share every detail of Lucy Lane's birth, etc. when we came. So, they know we're coming...Communication will be hard to set up an actual time to show up...so we'll need lots of PRAYERS..cause we know that so much could go wrong:

**I'm guarding myself knowing that this could be NOTHING like what I dreamed...or it could be EVERYTHING that I dreamed it would be.

**It might be awkward and strange..or natural and wonderful.

**Communication might be hard and weird..or we may have a great interpreter and conversation may flow well....

**We may show up and they aren't home...or they may be waiting for us...

So, i'm putting this in God's hand...He's gotten me this far (which I feel is a true miracle) and I know He'll see us through the rest of the way whether good or bad. And, I KNOW God already KNOWS how this will all play out...I'm trusting in HIM!!!

**So, there you have it...my tickets are booked and we fly out on December 10th..and fly back in on the 19th. Yes, this is a VERY long trip for me..especially since i've NEVER left my children for even ONE night before. This is WAY out of my comfort zone, which is exactly WHY i know God is leading me here...cause it is the ONLY explanation on HOW I'm able to go through with it all.

**I'm traveling with my big sister, Kelly, again..and we've got EVERY day packed FULL with things to do. Not ONLY am I going to meet LL's birth family...but...

* we're going to orphanages and photographing "waiting children" in hopes to get back and help them get placed with a family.
*We're visiting Kora... (can't wait for that)
*I'm hoping to visit and see the water well we put in in Ziway, Ethiopia. LifeSong for Orphans runs a school and feeding program there and we REALLY want to go see that too.
*I really want to go visit the new Hannah's Hope and visit with Almaz again...I loved talking with her when I picked up Lucy Lane and can't wait to see her again...I'm also hoping to photograph the waiting children there that AGCI has on their wait list.
* And, my kids are praying about something specific when I visit and meet waiting children...well...and I am too... God willing.. God willing!! :)

*****So, the count down is on....I'll be blogging and updating AS MUCH AS ELECTRICITY and CONNECTIONS allow!! I want to share every detail that I can of each of my days there... I'm very excited and very nervous... I'm NOT nervous about meeting LL's birth family...I'm nervous about flying!! :) Yes, I'm a nerd and I'm NOT adventurous at all..so flying that far MAKES ME VERY NERVOUS!!! So, PLEASE pray for me/us. PRAY for my hubby who will be home alone with our 5 littles during the craziest month of the entire year. I'll give more specific prayer requests CLOSER to departure...but for now...that's my story!!! I hope you'll all join me on this GREAT adventure!! I'm sure it will be a wild ride!! :)

Happy Wednesday to you all, kj

25 comments:

  1. WOW Kristi!!! That is God - ALL GOD!!! I get chills thinking about the potential sit down with LL's birthmom. Answers to questions every mother wants to answer for her daughter. Oh this would be amazing!!! CHILLS (although PARTLY due to my frozen fruit fetish ;)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you!!! Will definitely be praying and anxiously awaiting to see it all unfold in blog land. Sounds like you are going to have LOTS to do and I know you will be blessed and be a blessing during your stay there. So...the countdown begins! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting! I hope every detail works out, and that you can accomplish your goals.

    I pray all goes well! And that your hubby has fun.

    Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying!! Can't wait to hear about your trip and all that God does!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok we are just alike! I am also afraid of flying and am freaking out about two trips just because of that (and leaving Bek). Can't wait to read about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is SO EXCITING!!! I am praying!!! Praying for favor for your seats and a miraculous bump up to First Class too!!!! :)
    Blessings,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think what you're doing is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so proud of you for taking this amazing journey back ... and getting outside your comfort zone. I trust that your obedience and willingness to stretch yourself for His Kingdom will continue to bear much fruit! We cannot wait to see / here all that God has planned for this amazing trip!
    Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. i have chills all over. since we didn't get to meet lulu's birth grandmother when we were there, it has been my consistent prayer that we would get another opportunity to be connected to her. i am SO thrilled for you to be able to visit them.

    i know your whole family will be blessed by you taking this step of faith to love children on the other side of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh kristi...i am so excited that i can barely contain myself...this seems so God ordained and orchrestrated and I am so excited to hear when you get back, how it went! Oh to be able to find out every little detail about lucy's family and her birth...what a sweet caring mommy you are for lucy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Kristi... I am so excited for you. I have tears just thinking how wonderful it'll be to meet LL mother. I hope someday to do that same things. My heart just aches for their birth family.
    Anyway, please know that I will be praying for you. I know it'll be hard. I hate flying too and I never EVER leave my kids (last time was going to ET)... so I feel for you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is God Orchestrated!!!!!!! Definitely praying!!!!!! Definitely knowing that there is so much that HE has for you in this trip! Thankful that you have said yes to Him- Can't wait to see the pics, stories, and God's Amazing Mercies!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So excited for you and all the opportunities that God is going to give you!! Can't wait to read all about it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love reading these posts! What an incredible story--so excited for you (but totally get how hard it is to leave your little people). Can't wait to hear more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH this is amazing!!! We're not local but we'd love to do something to help your dear husband while you're gone. Maybe we could send some fun restaurant gift certificates or something?

    This so fantastic!! Can't wait to follow you when you're in Ethiopia. Hoping I'll be in Africa picking up my new ones around the same time. Many blesings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am SO excited for you! I can't wait to read all about it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We will be at HH on the 11th, if you happen to go there first!! The other crazy thing is that are plans are to visit a well in ZIWAY, that our church has sponsored with Living Water! Our church has been collecting donations for both HH and "The Children of Ziway." This will be our first trip to meet our 6 year old daughter. Blessings on your trip and I look forward to reading more about your experience.Julie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very exciting. We're hoping our little Peaches (who is still unknown to us) will maybe be in some of those HH or Bethzatha pics. Waiting anxiously for a referral call. Will be watching your posts closely to see what God does!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey Kristi, we have never met before but I am continually inspired by your blog! We will be crossing paths in Ethiopia in december. I am involved in project 61 and will be living at the Sumer yate's, I'm sure you are familiar with her, home for 3 weeks. I had my heart stolen by Korah this summer. So excited for you to have the opportunity to go there!! I will be in Addis December 11-30 and probably in Korah most of the time so hopefully we can meet sometime! look forward to hearing from you.
    Emily Cornish
    cornie@spu.edu :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm so happy for you and that you are going. I relate so much to the fear and anxiety about leaving your children. I had the same fears when I left my child, but knowing that you're doing this selflessly for one of your children will make it all worth it.

    I'm praying this trip is exactly what you want it to be. That you are able to meet LL's birth mom and that everything is natural. What an amazing gift you are giving that daughter of yours! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow how wonderful and scary all together. Kind of like adopting! Well so excited for you to go and meet Lucy's birth mom and also the waiting children. I have been praying for Temesagen! He is so cute and reminds me of my noah in Heaven. I have emailed your sis a lot about him. We'll see what God does! Have a great Thanksgiving!

    God is good!

    Love Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kristi...I'm supppper excited for you! What an AMAZING opportunity. My only advice is...remember...God's timing is perfect. So if you find yourself in a delayed flight, broken down African truck or camel with a broken leg...God's timing is PERFECT. I believe this will happen for you and for LL. Could you please stop by our blog and tell me what you think about my attempt to raise a little money before Christmas for our adoption?

    www.heartforafricakids.blogspot.com

    Its just a little something I made.
    Praying for you and your kids; Micah

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is wonderful Kristi. I can't wait to hear about your trip. I will be praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. this is just wonderful! so thrilled for you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! I am so excited for you! That is amazing. I can't wait to hear about your trip when you come back home. Our meeting with our sons' birth family was ordained by God, I just KNOW it. It was incredible. Something I never thought would ever be possible, but He sure does some cool things in our lives. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words!!