Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Our Last Day In Ethiopia....

I figure I'll kind of work my way backwards here....I'm just up at 4 a.m. hoping to accomplish some Christmas wrapping and sorting, cleaning up my kitchen and a blog post: All things that went undone last night since I fell asleep FAST as I got my last baby doll to sleep!! So, I'm up now....and here goes:Our last day in ET was just as full as all the rest!! Each day was packed every minute with visiting different orphanages and loving on children from across the world that just long for a family!! Above....is my NEW NEPHEW!! He is beyond adorable...We visited his orphanage for a second time on our LAST day in ET!! This time was different from our first visit...The orphanage knew we were coming..and my nephew was waiting at the gate for me. He ran right to me and smiled that HUGE smile and immediately wanted me to pick him up!! All the other children gathered around us...anxious to see if I'd open up my magic bag again and pass out treats (like our previous visit). These children are desperate for a taste of sugar, for a simple granola bar or perhaps maybe a cherished match box car. They sat and waited patiently as I loved on my nephew and told him how nice he looked...I thanked the orphanage workers for cleaning him up and they smiled pridefully!!
It wasn't long before I looked down and saw a precious little 2 or 3 yr. old girl pulling at my leg too...I bent down to love on her too and she pushed her way onto my lap too...My nephew didn't like this very much and pushed back letting her know that "this one" was HIS!! She cried and whimpered and wouldn't let go...She took her tiny little hands and held on for dear life. My nephew yelled at her in "Amharic" but she didn't care...She took my face and turned it towards her (away from my nephew) and looked deep into my eyes as to say, "YOU MUST BE HER...I KNOW YOU'VE COME FOR ME...AND I'M NOT ABOUT TO LET GO!" She broke my heart.... I kissed her and loved on her and she just smiled and soaked it all in..... My nephew eventually gave up and allowed her ONE hip and he CLAIMED the other....I walked around the rest of the visit like that...with two precious tiny, needy, desperate little souls attached to my body....
My arms would eventually get so tired that I'd have to sit a minute...both of them NEVER let go....Another little 4 year old boy decided there must be enough of me to go around...so he too came up and started pushing his way into my lap....My first two loves didn't like this a bit and both yelled at him to get off....He clung to my leg (the only part open on my body at this time) and said THE words over and over again, "MOM" I looked at him and he'd just smile...and continue to say, "mom" over and over again while resting his head on my leg....I NOW had 3 little bodies attached to mine....At some point I had given my camera to a 12 yr. old girl to use..and I couldn't find either one of them...so I placed my nephew on the ground with a toy (he was happy for a second) and tried to place the 3 yr. old girl down too...but she wouldn't have it...She screamed and held on for dear life...So I took off upstairs to look for my camera with one on my hip, a 4 yr. old following behind me still calling me "mom" and my nephew happy with a toy...I only made it to the top of the stairs when I looked back to see the most desperate look of fear in my nephew's eyes as he ran to me and jumped back into my arms..(as if he ever allowed me to get too far away, i might forget about him)....

It was all almost too much for my heart to take...All i could do was visualize having to leave these little ones...My sister Kelly tried to help and take my nephew from me...but he cried and reached back for me....An older boy saw the bodies attached to mine...so he too tried to come over and take 3 yr. old girl from me...but she too screamed in terror and I quickly grabbed her back cause my heart couldn't take their cries.....

Finally a nanny came over, laughing at the attachment these three were forming on my body..and she asked something to my nephew in "Amharic" ..and he answered her back. I said, "What did you just say to him?" She said, " I asked him WHO do you THINK this is?" He answered, " THIS IS MY MOTHER!"

Yes, I nearly wanted to throw up!! It was at that moment you could feel their little bodies ACHE for a mother...someone to call their own...they trembled with fear that you'd set them down and MOVE ON!! God broke my heart at that moment...just like I asked of Him!!

I thought then to pull out my sister Kelly's international phone and call my sister back home...It was the middle of the night..but I knew she wouldn't care... And, there for the first time..she heard his little tiny voice as I told him to say "HI" in the phone...Then "goodbye' and "i love you" !! As you can imagine...she was a puddle of a mess... but hearing his voice, i promise, is a gift from God!! Such an amazing little guy!!

I made my way to an orphanage worker and asked WHO the little 4 yr. old guy was still holding on to my leg calling me "mom"....I asked, "does he have a family..a home? He's adorable...surely someone has "picked" him to be their son!" Then I heard the words that I KNEW was WHY he still was waiting: "Siblings". He was the baby of a sibling group of 4. I asked him to show me his brothers and sister..and a gorgeous, smiling 9 yr. old boy made his way over to us...laughing at his baby brother's attachment to my leg. He stuck his hand out and shook mine and said, 'nice to meet you'!! I asked him HOW he knew English..and he said he'd picked it up somewhere along the way...He was gorgeous...He pointed out his 12 yr. old sister which i quickly realized was the girl running around with my camera taking pictures. He then introduced me to his 7 yr. old brother, who was all smiles and sweet and cute as can be. I told him he had a nice looking family and he said, "Oh, NO..I don't have a family...they are gone now!" I just lowered my head wanting to crawl under a rock for using the word "family" with this child. I quickly came back with "well, your sister and brothers are adorable" and he smiled and thanked me. I then asked him, " Well, do you want a family?" He said, "Oh, yes, VERY MUCH!" I then told him, " I will go back and tell America about you and your siblings" He smiled and said he'd very much like that. I said, " I will tell everyone I know HOW cute, smart and kind you 4 are!" He smiled and thanked me....I said the words, " I won't forget about you!"
Our time was drawing to an end at this orphanage...My sister had the idea of passing out crackers to the children...and my three quickly got down and stood in line for their turn at a cracker. 4 yr. old boy moved on to kissing my sister's hand over and over again...3 yr. old girl, i found out, had a family that would be coming soon for her..Praise God...I looked at her as she ate her cracker and told her "your mommy will be here soon" And, my nephew...well I took his face and kissed it..and said, "my sister will be here soon for you...you will go home soon...i promise" He looked at me with fear in his eyes..and I just had to walk away....I didn't look back...He didn't chase after me...just sat quietly watching me leave...eating his cracker!!

I got to the gate and was about to walk out the door when I felt a tap on my arm..I turned around..and there was 9 yr. old brother from sibling set with his arm stretched out for a "good bye" hand shake....I took his hand and he said, "God Bless you!" I nearly wanted to cry right there....I said again, "I'll try to help find you and your siblings a family" He smiled and said again" God bless you!!" I turned and left...and there went his hope, his chance right out the door!!
(above, my 4 yr. old friend saying good bye to Lauren)

*And, we were gone...heading hours out of the city to our next orphanage....but i prayed right there and then for that sibling group of 4. I know there MUST be another "Tracy Mihnovich" in this world that will adopt 4 at a time. All 4 children were well behaved, sweet, kind, thoughtful and smart. They are all considered healthy and on target for their age. I KNOW in my heart that we can find them a home...God doesn't intend for them to age out of an orphanage some day....and to have to hit the streets like millions of others... to have to fight for food and have their little bodies sold.... God plans for them to have a family...for their eyes to light up when someone enters those gates and says, "I am your mother...it is YOUR turn" They will then leave and feel the comfort of "family" for the first time in a LONG time...They will finally have enough to eat...clothes to wear and a warm bed at night to sleep in....all things we take for granted here in America...but yet..they have NONE of this now!!

Please pass this along all you want....I'm praying for these 4...they all 4 stole my heart....Please Lord, let this fall into the right hands...into the right computer screen...let someone's heart break for these children just like YOURS does...just like MINE has!! To pursue or get more info...please email Sue at sue@celebratechildren.org

Happy Tuesday to you all, kj

27 comments:

  1. Thank you for speaking up for these treasures of God!! Praying for your renewed energy-- and I know that your heart is breaking right now and still feels like it is in ET!! It's SO hard to leave!! Love all these pics!! There IS a home out there for those 4-- for sure!! love you!! -- Oh and Kasey's little one--- I could eat him up!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love... these orphans are being prayed for to be picked soon. such a beautiful post... keep blogging about them- they are wonderful- Robby and I met them in July! God will surely break someones heart after reading this! Welcome home Kristi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post broke my heart. The desperate ache in these kiddos for a mom and a dad. Praying for the sibling set and their forever family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am working up a post right now to help you advocate for these precious children! I know someone must be called to be their parents. Praying. Thank you for sharing so candidly about your trip, Kristi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Girl...now you have ME sitting here in a puddle of tears!!! Praying for a family for this sweet sibling group!!!!! We need everyone we know to link up to this blog entry and tell America about this sweet group of children!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for these kiddos! Oh it breaks my heart! And your new little nephew looks like a CUTIE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing with us. It is heartbreaking to think of these children wanting/needing mommies so badly. I will be praying specifically for those you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart has been broken for that sibling group of 4 since I met them in August. The girl and my daughter were very close. When we came to pick up our kids, she ran out of the room crying. We have heard lots of stories of kids in the orphanage and what goes on "behind the scenes" if you will. All the stories involving those 4 were always positive. My kids LOVE all 4 of them and ask me when they are coming to America. I am hoping they come home within driving distance to Nashville so that we can be at the airport homecoming or at least stay in touch. They truly are precious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am praying!!! I am praying!!! We are just starting our adoption process again...it will take a miracle, but I would take them in a second! Praying that God sets them in a family...perhaps mine?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please send me some information bureefamily@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know if my last comment went through...and it was my sons account ;0) We would like more information on these children, who do we contact....burpeefamily@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh. My. Goodness. Crying. I'm in the middle of the worlds longest adoption (almost at the six year mark)I have sworn off adopting more in the future, but this post may change my mind. I'm reposting this on Twitter and FB. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. My heart couldn't take this today. We are waiting for the email that says we can go back and get our sweet girl, but the thought of leaving the rest of them behind is killing me. Not the kids from our care center...I think they all/most have families. But we will visit Durame to visit our birth family and I know a piece of my heart will stay there. Thank you for sharing your journey. God is working in His people everywhere. I will pray for the sibling group--surely they will have a family soon with YOU on their side.

    Peace & Blessings,
    kendra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for taking the time to write about your experiences! I have followed your blog for about 6 months, and just linked this post to my blog! -www.bathurstadoption.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. PRAYING!!!!! Oh pick me!!! If it weren't for our government- I would be all over this!!! Seriously!!! I will be praying for their family to find them. My heart breaks......

    ReplyDelete
  16. This post has me soooo sad. I'm praying hard a family comes forward and adopts these 4 childern. We are currently adopting a sib group of 2 kids and it's a WONDERFUL feeling. So, glad you had a wonderful time...I HAD to check in everyday to see the new posts and pics!! They just melted me. You guys are great!!!

    Karen
    Our Blog: www.hernkekid.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, they are so precious! Praying for a family for them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for what you did. While you were over there you loved on my two that we are waiting..very impatiently to go meet and then bring home. Kelly sent me pictures of our little ones. I found it very funny that you were there helping to give my two little ones presents from us and your gotcha day video is the first one I ever saw. Your video is what helped us make the final push toward adoption. Thank you so much for loving on our kids while you were over there! I am reposting about these wonderful four. Praying for a family to read their story and and know!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely heartbreaking. Praying now for the ones we'll be bringing home, Lord willing, sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Writing a post and linking to your blog...thanks for sharing about these sweet kids. My heart is hurting for them! Praying, praying, praying.

    ~Kylee

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing your story!!! Wow! Tears! We are in process of adopting a little boy from Ethiopia. You are so blessed to have such an amazing experience with LL birth mom. Amazing, story, so precious! Prayers that ours will be similar but know God is in control of all circumstances. Appreciate your heart!

    Mollie
    www.pagefamilyjourney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh wow your story of the 4 kids touched my heart so much and I will be praying for them! Wow God is doing amazing things and used you and your sister greatly on this trip! So exciting! Well hope you can get rested up and have a very Merry Christmas!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have been loving following along on your Ethiopia trip!So proud of you for going I know it's so hard to leave the littles at home! Looks like God is using you in some amazing ways.. I will be praying for these 4 kids I just know God's got a home out there for them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your time in ethiopia has been riveting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you! Thank you for writing about these siblings. I fell head over heels in love with the 9 yr old boy you wrote about in this post during our couple of visits to their orphanage this summer. I always talk about him, talk about adopting all 4 of them, knowing that probably can't be a reality.

    It brings tears to my eyes reading about your visit, seeing their pictures. I love those kids.

    Thank you also for the update on the 3 yr old you were holding. Just as we fell in love with the 9 yr old, we fell in love with her as well over the past couple of years that we have been there. My wife dreamt of one day adopting her as well, so we are so excited to hear that she has a family coming.

    Thank you again, and I will join with you in advocating for those siblings.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  26. I read your blog frequently, but I have never commented. I am adopting BECAUSE OF LUCY LANE. Someone sent me her video a few months ago and I thought about it constantly for only a few days before my husband and I decided we were going to do it (Lord Willing)! (Right now we are working on selling our house and getting our finances set up.) When I read this post, I was literally bawling imagining those sweet children so desperately wanting a Mommy. I couldn't do anything but cry that God would break more people's hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for posting this- from a Mommy who just brought home a sibling group of 4 from ET in August. Anyone can contact us for encouragement.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words!!