Thursday, July 14, 2011

We Made To The PICU

We have officially made it to the ICU where we will call HOME for the next 3 to 4 days...OH, nothing could have prepared me for the emotional roller coaster I am feeling....I have cried more since seeing him than I have in YEARS combined together!! :) Seriously...it just hurts my soul to see my baby hurting.....He hasn't even finished swelling yet, but just rounding the corner and seeing him for the first time nearly took my breath away...I do pass out easily and seeing all the tubes coming out of him made me feel VERY faint....I'm doing much better now...but I seriously cried with no control the first couple of hours after seeing him...He had a fever, his heart rate was up which made him breathe funny...and he arched his back and screamed every time his eyes opened...SO...the drs just kept knocking him back out!! BUT, he's doing better now and seems to be resting better for the moment....AND...I think i've made it an entire 15 minutes without crying now so I think we're BOTH on the road to recovery!! :)


My hubby is home with our 5 other babes, so I'm just sitting here in this COLD room with a sweet young nurse who is constantly checking on my baby boy. Such nice people here doing a great job...It will certainly be a long night ahead...but I'm trying to stay awake to feed my baby his first bottle when he wakes...I'm camped out beside his bed waiting for him to wake...and praying he doesn't wake up SO UPSET this time where they have to sedate him again.....




Your prayers are so appreciated...I knew it would be hard yet I never realized HOW HARD it would be emotionally to see my baby hurting like this....Praising God that it is OVER and he did so well in surgery...NOW praying that his little body starts to heal and his heart rate and fever goes away!!! And, since my eyes are swollen now too...we both just look LIKE A MESS!! :) I don't feel comfortable posting a " full on" picture of him...just doesn't seem right to show him hurting and all tubed up!! Not trying to hide anything....I'm just not comfortable posting such sad pictures of him at this point...I can't wait to post happier pics of our hospital stay towards the end of our week long stay here!!! I just want my baby feeling better :(




I'll post another update tomorrow when i can....thank you again for all your love, prayers, comments, emails and support...It's gonna me a long week...kj




ps....just fed him his first clear liquids by bottle...he got one eye slightly open to see me...he seemed calm with me there...drank some bottle...then threw it all up and fell back asleep..fun times :(

16 comments:

  1. Oh, Kristi, I have tears in my eyes! I can't even imagine how it must feel to see your precious baby hurting so bad! So glad the surgery was a success, and we will be praying for a FULL and QUICK recovery for sweet Wes! And will be praying for your comfort and peace!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. praying for your little babe..... and his sweet mama too. you're both hurting. thanks for your update as it certainly helps us to know more specifics to pray. taking a bottle is a step of progress - and keeping it will be another. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh sweet kristi, i have no idea how your momma's heart must be breaking today. but i know that god is holding you both close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I can't imagine the emotions you are feeling. Praise God that it went well! Praying for a quick and easy recovery for both of you. And praying for the ones waiting at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for Wes. And for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for you and your sweet baby! Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tears here too. There is really nothing like the helpless feeling of watching your child suffer. Praying for you all tonight! Oh, and if you haven't already... ask for a warmed blanket for yourself (they can be such a comfort). Mark 10:16- "And He took the children in His arms, placed His hands on them and blessed them."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just got on here tonight and didn't realize you already had the surgery. Praying for him...and for you! ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Precious Lord Jesus...please wrap your comforting arms around Kristi as she sits by her baby Wes' bedside. Give her times of rest and peace. Please give her strength.

    Please touch Wes and help him to heal quickly Lord. Ease his pain...and take it away. Help there to be progress each hour. Give Kristi hope and encouragement. Help her to feel the effect of all of the prayers going up on their behalf.

    You are the Great Physician...and you are able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think. Help us all to remember that Lord.

    Thank you for bringing Wes through the surgery. Praise you Jesus! We give you all the glory!

    In your precious name we pray. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hang in there mama!! I know it's so hard to see him this way but in the years I worked peds I was always amazed at the resilience of children, honestly how much more pain tolerant they were than adults and how much faster they bounce back. my prayers are with Wes, you and your family and all the doctors and nurses providing his care. hoping these days in the hospital fly by for you!! oh, and ask your sweet nurse if they have a warm blanket you can use, I'm sure they have a blanket warmer in there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Kristi and Sweet Wes...tears in my eyes. Knowing that through the haze Wes hears his Mama and feels her next to him makes all the difference.
    Kate (his biggest 4-year-old fan in S.A.) & our boys prayed for him at dinner last night & again at bedtime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praying for an easy and speedy recovery for your precious boy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Will continue to pray for your sweet Wes...and for you. I totally understand how a mama's heart aches and tears flow and never seem to stop. I just cry and let the tears fall....release of stress and worry I guess.

    Also praying for your family at home and dh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Kristi. Praying for you and Wes. Please let me know if there's anything we can do. I'd love to help however I can. I can take care of your other littles or take them to practices, etc. I can run errands or bring food - whatever you need. Please email or call if I can do somethng.

    Blessings,
    Valerie Hulshof

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sweet Wes. I'm praying for him to heal QUICKLY and for him to be able to calm down and relax with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am soooo sorry! I can't imagine! Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your kind words!!